First off, the difference in stories is very noticeable. The Wall Street Journal focuses on Finances, the Economy, and of course, America's new favorite tabloid monger, Sarah Palin. The Wall Street Journal is very engaged in the happenings around the globe just as much as the happenings here in the US. An English teacher from Texas is now suspect for provoking the the 'brief war in Georgia"! Movies with well-known actors and actresses aren't making the big screen, residents from New Orleans are still unable to return home, and I know I already mentioned this, but Sarah Palin is VERY popular! There are all kinds of stories running around this woman and her family; it's unbelievable.
The Sentinel focuses on national and global affairs, but is also very centered on what's happening locally, seeing as it is a local paper, rather than a national one. The story on the right hand side [the most important side, as I now know...] is about a football player from my old high school that was SERIOUSLY injured at the high school football jamboree. I heard about this shortly after it happened, but I wasn't aware of the severity until I read today's article. My heart goes out to the injured player and his family, and I hope that he can make a full recovery.
The Sentinel also has a story on...you guessed it! Sarah Palin! Wahoo! More juicy dirt about John McCain's newly selected running mate. Now, I know very little about politics, but this woman has got some skeletons in her closet, man. It's hard to ignore!
The Sentinel also features a story about a new home for the abandoned/lost animals in the county that will open on the 18th of this month, along with some highlights for the upcoming Greek Festival, details about the effect of Hurricane Gustav, and some news regarding surrounding counties, and that evil guy that abuses animals.
A notable difference that I discovered between the two papers....
The layout of the front page on these two papers is different. The Sentinel has one article that is laid on top of the page, and sprawled all the way across, with the articles on the right and left below that. The Wall Street Journal just goes for the article on the right, the middle, and the rest of the interesting content on the left.
I wonder why that is....
The Wall Street Journal is quite a bit thicker than the Sentinel, holding more stories, and definitely containing more categories to browse through whenever you have a minute to sit down and read the paper. It's definitely more informative, in that sense, at least, but it also seems to have something for everyone, whether you're a corporate executive, a guy that likes to talk about the weather [haha], a political fiend, a sports lover, movie lover, etc etc. As far as being accurate, informative, and business savvy, I would say that I enjoy the Wall Street Journal.
However, I love the Sentinel. Why, you ask? Pure bias. No joke. The Sentinel contains stories that hit close to home, that keep me updated locally, and it also throws in some business, world, sports, and weather. I like the idea of knowing what's going on in my hometown, and I sometimes feel guilty because I feel as though I should be more concerned about our entire country. I know it's going downhill, but it's still there for now! I'm not exactly business savvy, and I only know enough about politics to get by, and that is much more [in my eyes] what The Wall Street Journal addresses. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic paper, it just doesn't appeal to my current interests as much as The Sentinel does.
Though, give it a few years, I'm sure I'll broaden my horizons.

No comments:
Post a Comment